Thank you for stopping by! The noncredit Medical Assistant program can be completed in 20 weeks and is being offered as a hybrid program. Seating is limited based on available clinical space.
The noncredit Medical Assistant Program provides students with the knowledge and skills to prepare them to work in physician’s offices and clinics performing both administrative and clinical skills. The program includes instruction in reviewing and recording patient histories and clinical data, patient care, investigative and examination procedures, diagnostic procedures, data analysis and documentation, physician consultation, equipment operation and monitoring, and professional standards and ethics. This course will require the use of a webcam with Respondus LockDown Browser when taking exams. CLICK HERE to learn more about the course exam requirements.
Students participate in preceptorship activities at:
- Local clinics
- Local Physician’s offices
- Local Hospitals
- Urgent Care Facilities
Class start dates: (subject to change)
- Start date changed: May 1, 2023
- July 3, 2023 (This class will be offered to residents of Montegut, Chauvin, Point Aux Chenes, and Bourg only with labs being held at Smithridge gym on Wednesdays 9am-1pm)
Class schedule: (subject to change)
Acceptance to Fletcher Technical Community College does not guarantee acceptance into the Workforce Medical Assistant program. Seats are offered based on application date.
- High School Diploma/GED/HiSET
- 18 years of age
- Clear background check
Things to consider before applying to the non-credit Medical Assistant program:
- Students must submit a background check from Louisiana State Police. For a detailed list of convictions that bar employment of unlicensed persons in Louisiana please click here.
- Students admitted into the program must pass random drug screen(s).
- Required immunizations are 2 MMR shots (measles, mumps, and rubella), a current tetanus – diphtheria (TD) shot within the last 10 years.
- Hep B series must be started.
- Flu vaccination or waiver
- COVID vaccination or exemption
- Physical Exam
- Current TB test
- Hold Harmless Agreement
- Proof of Health Insurance
- $2000 + program specific costs (You can find the noncredit Medical Assistant cost sheet under LINKS for a breakdown of costs associated with the program.)
The Medical Assistant program is a noncredit program. This is not a financial aid (FAFSA) eligible program. Students must pay tuition upon registration unless notified otherwise.
*All noncredit course tuition and fees are assessed by each class. Tuition, fees, and other charges relating to noncredit classes are not refundable unless the training course is canceled by the College. If the College cancels a class, then 100% of all College-assessed tuition and fees paid will be refunded for the canceled class.
If you are interested in applying to this program, please complete the following steps:
- Complete an admissions application to Fletcher Technical Community College (current/continuing Fletcher students do not need to submit another application) online at APPLY. Select Healthcare as your program.
- Be fully or unconditionally accepted to Fletcher Technical Community College by completing all Admissions requirements. Admissions will notify you of your status via email.
- Complete and submit the “Application for Admission to Noncredit Nursing and Allied Health programs” found below in LINKS
**This program has a clinical component to complete the program. Please be advised that Fletcher’s Nursing and Allied Health faculty members work closely with many clinical sites to provide an optimal clinical experience for all of its students. Fletcher must follow policies and guidelines set forth by programmatic accreditation boards as well as hospital policies. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we must abide by the federal, state, local, college and health care facility mandates. At this time, your program completion date is dependent upon our ability to enter and complete training in clinical facility. Fletcher’s faculty and administration will work with all of our partners to complete clinical hours in a safe and timely manner when possible. We thank you for choosing Fletcher for your career goals and look forward to working with you to achieve success. We appreciate your flexibility as we continue to adapt.
- Noncredit Medical Assistant Cost Sheet
- Application for Admission to Noncredit Nursing and Allied Health programs
- View instructions on how to obtain the required background check
- 2022-2023 Student Handbook