Medical Laboratory Technician
We are so glad you’re here! Fletcher Technical Community College’s Associate of Applied Science Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) degree provides an accelerated and affordable avenue to your career in the healthcare industry. Fletcher’s MLT program can be completed in two years, which is great news if you are eager to begin your healthcare career.
The Medical Laboratory Technician program will provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to work in the medical laboratory performing diagnostic tests to help physicians detect, diagnose, and treat disease. Students must have a strong background in chemistry, biology and math. Technicians must learn to work with microscopes, computers, and instruments on body fluids, tissues and cells. Technicians are employed in hospital laboratories, clinics, doctors’ offices, blood banks and research and commercial laboratories. Successful completion of the MLT degree prepares you to take the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Certification Examination for MLT and to become licensed in the State of Louisiana by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners.
The Medical Laboratory Technician program at Fletcher Technical Community College is a five-semester, 65-credit-hour program. Year one consists of three semesters of pre-requisite coursework that includes general education coursework and introductory MLT courses designed to prepare the student for clinical rotations. Year two consists of two semesters of clinical, lab, and medical laboratory theory along with any remaining general education courses not required for admission into clinical. The general education courses are offered face-to-face and/or online. The clinical, lab, and theory components of the program are face-to-face and/or online depending upon the subject matter. Classes meet Monday – Friday.
Fletcher Technical Community College admits a new class into the Medical Laboratory Technician clinical program once a year each fall semester only. The next clinical cohort will be admitted to begin the clinical experience in Summer 2024 and Fall 2024. The application deadline for Summer/Fall 2024 is February 7, 2024, at 4:00 PM. Those who are accepted will be required to attend a mandatory orientation on March 6, 2024 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Specific clinical application and admission requirements can be found in the MLT Admission Guide below. Students must review the Admission Guide prior to applying to the program.
Here are a few important things to note regarding applying to the clinical component of the MLT program:
1. The following 37 hours of the MLT Curriculum must be completed by the end of the spring semester in which the student is applying for clinical:
- BIOL 1030, 1031, 2121, 2123, 1140, 1150 (12 credit hours)
- ENGL 1010, (3 credit hours)
- MATH 1213 (or 1103 or 1104 or 1214) (3 credit hours)
- CHEM 1010 (3 credit hours)
- MLT Specific Courses
- MLTS 1011, 1012, 1020, 1022, 1050, 1052, 1021, 1030, 1032, 1041, 1043
2. Applicants must achieve a minimum 2.75 GPA in the above courses with a minimum grade of "C" in all classes to advance in the program. For more information regarding GPA requirements, see the MLT Admission Guide below.
3. All courses in the MLT curriculum must be completed with a minimum grade of “C.”
4. Admission into the MLT program is based on GPA and performance in MLT specific courses. Clinical seating is limited to 14 students, but this number is also dependent on clinical site availability. A student’s eligibility to apply is not a guarantee of acceptance into the clinical component of the MLT Program.
The Medical Laboratory Technician Program achieved Accredited Status in Spring 2021 with the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, phone (773) 714-8880, fax (773) 714-8886, website: www.naacls.org.
CURRENT PROGRAM OUTCOMES
|Graduation Year||Graduation Rate (of students entering the 2nd half of the MLT program)||Attrition Rate (in 2nd half of the MLT program)||Graduate ASCP Rate||Graduation Placement Rate (includes employment in the field or continuation of education)|
|2022**||100%||0%||No data to report||100%|
*First cohort for program.
**The MLT Program had a major curriculum change which left a gap in completers for 2022. There were no students who tested in 2022 so therefore there is no data to report.
- Application for Admission
- Background Check Instructions
- Cost List
- Medical Laboratory Technician Curriculum
- Medical Laboratory Technician Summer 2023 Admission Guide
- Medical Laboratory Technician 2022-2023 Student Handbook
- Medical Laboratory Technician 2023-2024 Student Handbook
- How to scan documents with an iPhone
- How to scan documents with an Android