We are so glad you’re here! Fletcher Technical Community College admits a new class into the Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology program each fall semester only.
The Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology at Fletcher Technical Community College is a six semester, 63 credit hour program. It consists of one semester of pre-requisite coursework and five semesters of surgical technology courses. The prerequisite courses are offered face-to-face day and/or evening, and online. Classes in the surgical technology program meet face-to-face Monday – Friday.
Upon successful completion of the curriculum, the student will qualify to take the National Certification Exam for Surgical Technologists. The certifying exam is written and administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). Certified Surgical Technologists (CSTs) are integral members of the surgical team who work closely with surgeons, anesthesia providers, registered nurses, and other surgical personnel delivering patient care before, during, and after surgery. Their primary responsibility is maintaining the sterile field. The CST handles the instruments, supplies and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. Certified Surgical Technologists have an understanding of the procedure being performed, anticipate the needs of the surgeon and have the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure. The student should recognize that the clinical rotation of the Surgical Technology program demands that attitude; work habits, communication skills and manual dexterity are developed and evaluated along with academic readiness.
All applications must be mailed and post marked by the due date of June 18, 2020.
Fletcher Technical Community College
Attn: Dept of Nursing and Allied Health
1407 Highway 311
Schriever, LA 70395
Hand-delivered on the following dates and times to the Schriever campus (address above)
Friday, May 8 (8am-4pm)
Monday May 11-Friday May 15 (8am-4pm)
May 18–till further notice
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays 9am-3pm
The application deadline for the Fall 2020 class is Thursday, June 18, 2020. Specific program application and admission requirements can be found in the Admission Guide. Students must review the Admission Guide prior to applying to the program. Here are a few important things to note regarding applying to the Surgical Technology program:
- The following 6 hours of Fletcher Technical Community College’s Curriculum must be completed by the end of the spring semester prior to applying to the program: MATH 1000/1100, or MATH 1160/1170 and ENGL 1000/1010
- The following general education courses are required for the Surgical Technology program:
- PSYC 2010 (3 credit hours); Approved Natural Science (3 credit hours); Approved Primary Humanities Elective (3 credit hours)
- Intro to Computers is no longer a requirement for the program; however, it is highly suggested by the program for students to take. Extra points will be given to applicants that have successfully completed a computer course within 5 years of the application date.
- At this time, with the exception of the English and Math components, applicants are not required to have all of their general education courses completed prior to applying to the program; however, general education courses are a weighted factor and applicants will receive additional quality points in the admission process for each general education course completed. In order for courses to be considered, the course must show on the official transcript as either a grade or ‘in progress’ by the Spring 2020 semester. Once courses are successfully completed, applicants should then request an updated official transcript (other than Fletcher or LCTCS colleges) in order for those courses to be eligible for the application process.
- Applicants must achieve a minimum 2.0 GPA in those courses. For more information regarding GPA requirements, see the current Admission Guide.
- All courses in the Surgical Technology curriculum must be completed with a minimum grade of “C.”
- Minimum 70% composite score on the HESI (Health Education System, Inc.) Admissions Assessment Test (A2) English Language (Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary & General Knowledge, & Grammar) Math (Basic Math Skills) Science (Biology, Anatomy & Physiology).
- Admissions into the Surgical Technology program is based on GPA and HESI scores. Seating is limited to 12 students. A student’s eligibility to apply is not a guarantee of acceptance into the Surgical Technology Program.
The Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). 25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158, Clearwater, Florida 33763, 727-210-2350. The Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA) is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit accreditation services agency providing national recognition for higher education programs in surgical technology and surgical assisting, in collaboration with the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), in order to promote quality surgical patient care through quality credible education.