Medical Coding/Insurance Billing Specialist
Medical Coding/Insurance Billing Specialist is one of Fletcher's fastest growing programs. This certificate program can be completed in as quick as one year while earning several Industry Based Certifications. If you enjoy puzzles and are detail oriented, this may be the program for you.
This program of study provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare them for diagnostic and procedural coding positions in hospitals, physicians’ offices and clinics, long-term care facilities, insurance companies, home care agencies, managed care organizations and outpatient surgical hospitals. The program will also prepare students for national certification as Certified Coding Associate (CCA) through American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and Certified Professional Coder at the Apprentice Level (CPC-A) through American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC).
MCIS Certificate Program options
- Career and Technical Certification - Medical Office Assistant
- Certificate of Technical Studies - Medical Coding/Insurance Specialist
- Certified Professional Coder at the Apprentice Level (CPC-A) through AAPC is available to test on campus after completing the first two Medical Coding courses.
- Cetified Professional Biller through AAPC is coming soon and will be available after completing both Insurance Billing courses.
student learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Medical Coding/Insurance Billing Specialist program will be able to:
- Create medical and office documents and spreadsheets.
- Code provider diagnoses and procedures using medical terminology and anatomy/physiology knowledge.
- Understand the insurance and billing processes by coding then billing insurance companies for prompt reimbursement for health care services.
- Demonstrate professionalism in the classroom and work environment.