Thank you for your interest in Accounting Technology. This program is offered in a variety of modalities; courses are offered online, hybrid, and/or in person. If attending full time, you can complete your Associate Degree in two years with certifications available along your educational journey.
The Accounting Technology program prepares students to provide technical support to professional accountants and other management personnel by recording, summarizing, and reporting financial information of an organization. Fletcher’s Accounting Technology Program provides a foundation in basic accounting and bookkeeping skills. It includes instruction in general accounting principles and practices, posting transactions to accounts, record keeping systems, and accounting software operation. This program of study provides specialized classroom instruction and practical experience to prepare students for employment as accounting technicians or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed as accounting technicians. The program prepares individuals to provide technical support to professional accountants and other management personnel. CIP 520302
Accounting Degree Program options
- Certificate of Technical Studies - Account Clerk
- Certificate of Technical Studies - Payroll Clerk
- Associate of Applied Science in Accounting Technology
Accounting Industry-Based Certifications
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) in Word and PowerPoint (This certification is available in Introduction to Computer Applications (CPTR 1100))
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) in Excel (This certification is available in Spreadsheets (CINS 1350).)
- QuickBooks Certified User (This certification is available in Computerized Accounting (ACCT 2500) and available starting January 1, 2023 as a non-credit continuous enrollment course.)
- Intuit Certified Bookkeeper (This certification is available in the Financial Accounting Projects (ACCT 2350) course. (See Catalog for course description and pre-requisits.)
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Students who successfully complete an Accounting Technology program will be able to:
- Apply accounting terminology and procedures in analyzing, recording, and reporting financial information.
- Prepare, analyze, and report financial information using computer technology.
- Process payroll transactions and complete payroll reporting processes.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively process data and communicate information in a professional manner using current technology.
Salary & Career Outlook
Fletcher’s program prepares students for employment in the following areas:
- Accounting technicians
- Junior accountants
- Data entry clerks
- Accounting clerks
The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) is a leading specialized accreditation association for business education — supporting, celebrating, and rewarding teaching excellence. ACBSP accredits business, accounting, and business-related programs at the associate, baccalaureate, master, and doctorate degree levels worldwide. Every quality business program worldwide is accredited.
- ACBSP promotes continuous improvement and recognizes excellence in the accreditation of business education programs around the world.
- ACBSP acknowledges the importance of scholarly research and inquiry and believes that such activities facilitate improved teaching. ACBSP encourages faculty involvement within the contemporary business world to enhance the quality of classroom instruction and to contribute to student learning.
- ACBSP offers an accreditation process uniquely focused on teaching excellence and student outcomes. And because the council believes ACBSP success is driven by the success of its members, ACBSP officers and members align those programs and the accreditation process to meet the individual needs of each member.
The program is also designed to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed as accounting technicians.
For students interested in transferring to Nicholls State University to earn a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Accounting, please click this link to learn more: https://www.nicholls.edu/academic-services-center/transfer-student-resource-center/. Students can also reach out to a transfer adviser in the Student Success Center (room 127) located at the main campus in Schriever for more details.
Business Department Head
Dean of Business, Education, Arts, & Math