The Certified Line Worker Training Program will provide the necessary foundation for you to begin your line worker career as a helper / apprentice for an electric utility company.
Next class: OCTOBER 2023 – Classes are 22 weeks, including CDL training.
- Obtain NCCER Certification
- Be qualified for employment as a line helper
- Receive job placement assistance
Program Applicants Should Be:
- Willing and able to work in adverse and inclement weather conditions (heat/humidity, cold, light rain, etc).
- Able and willing to work extended hours and away from home if needed depending on work assignments and/or storm restoration (opportunity for overtime).
- Able to carry 50 lbs. or more for extended periods of time.
- Able to read and write at 9th grade level or above.
- Drug free and be willing to submit to a pre-program drug screen and periodic random drug screening.
- Willing to refrain from the use of drugs or alcohol that may impair your ability to work safely.
- Willing to submit to a background check that verifies your education, driving records and criminal history.
Steps to Enroll (These steps must be completed in this order):
- Complete an admissions application at this link. When completing the application, choose "Construction Trades" as your major.
You must achieve a minimum score of Silver Level (4) in all three modules of Applied Math, Workplace Documents, and Graphic Literacy of the WorkKeys Assessment Test.
If you took this test in high school, please send your scores to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to take the WorkKeys Assessment Test, please let us know and we can connect you with our Testing Center for upcoming test dates.
Once we receive the results from your WorkKeys Assessment Test, we will contact you to set up your next step.
- After verifying your WorkKeys Assessment scores, your information will be sent to Tracepoint for your background check. Within the following days, you will receive an email from Tracepoint with a link to process your payment ($40.00) and a separate email with an additional link for authorization. These emails will come from “Intuit QuickBooks” and “Tracepoint Instascreen”. If you do not receive these emails in your main inbox, please check your junk mail/spam folder.
If you have a valid CDL Class A license, please email a copy to email@example.com for verification as soon as possible and you will not need to complete Steps 4-7.
If you already have your CDL Class A license, you will still need to take a Department of Transportation (DOT) drug test. This will be set up through Tracepoint at the same time as your background check. It will have an additional cost of $55.00 or a total of $95.00 for both background and DOT drug test.
If you do not have a valid CDL Class A license, you will be enrolled in our Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO) course as part of the Certified Lineworker Program. Steps 4-7 outline the requirements for our CVO course.
- Find a physician near you to obtain a Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Physical. The physician must be listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners. Cost of physical varies, but is usually around $60. CLICK HERE to find a physician near you.
- Study for the Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). It is strongly recommended that all applicants obtain a Class A permit. You will need to pass DMV tests for General Knowledge, Combination, and Air Brakes to obtain your CLP. Study for tests using the following links:
- Test for your CLP by visiting an Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) location. The test consists of multiple-choice questions based on information obtained from the Louisiana CDL Manual and study guides. Cost of CLP is $15.00. Tests can be taken twice daily and on multiple days for no additional fee. CLICK HERE to find an OMV location near you.
- Once all of the previous steps have been completed, register for the FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse. This must be done no more than thirty (30) days before the first day of Fletcher’s CVO class. CLICK HERE to register following the directions below.
- Register as “Student Driver”.
- Select “Student Driver Consortium” as your C/TPA.
- Pay for and run full query on yourself. Cost of query is $1.25. A copy of the query must be provided to Fletcher.
- Request and pay for your drug test by using this link and completing the registration form. Drug testing must be scheduled through the consortium; outside tests will not be accepted. Cost of the drug test is $65.00.
- PROCOM (C/TPA) will quickly set up drug testing at a convenient in-network location. PROCOM will also:
- provide a DOT-approved drug and alcohol policy to students as required by FMCSA;
- assist students in setting up required drug testing and will provide students proof of enrollment in the consortium; and
- once a quarter, run a random drug test selection of currently enrolled students and notify selected students directly. Fletcher will pay costs of any random drug tests of students while enrolled in its CVO Program.
- Pre-interviews will be scheduled after all previous steps are completed. You will receive notification via email of your scheduled interview date, time, and location.
This program does not qualify for federal aid, meaning that you cannot use federal Pell grants or federal student loans to assist with funding for the program. We encourage students to start the funding process with the Louisiana Workforce Commission that is in the parish they reside. There are also private loan options available.
Payment can be made by credit card online, or if paying cash, please visit the Cashier’s window at Fletcher’s Main Campus in Schriever. There is no installment payment option for this program at this time, therefore all payments are to be made in full upfront. If your funding will come through an agency such as the Louisiana Workforce Commission, they will have to send us an approval of payment. Tuition is non-refundable unless class is cancelled by Fletcher.
Estimated Lineworker Costs
|Tuition & Fees||Approximate Costs|
|WorkKeys (3 Sections at $15/section)||$45.00|
|DOT FMCSA Drug Test (If already has CDL Class A)||
|Fletcher's Lineworker Course Tuition*||$8,225.00|
|Totals (with other costs) Prices subject to change.||$8,515.00 (Approximate)|
Estimated CVO Costs
|Tuition & Fees||Approximate Costs|
|DOT FMCSA Physical||$65.00 (Approximate)|
|Class A Commercial Learner's Permit||$15.00|
|PROCOM Enrollment/DOT FMCSA Drug Screen||$65.00|
|OMV CDL Issuance Fee (after successful completion of state skills test)||$80.00 (Approximate)|
|Fletcher's CVO Course Tuition**||$5,500.00|
|Totals (with other costs) Prices subject to change.||$5,720.00 (Approximate)|
Estimated Total Costs
|Tuition & Fees||Total (with other costs)|
|Lineworker with CVO||$14,180.00 (Approximate)|
|Lineworker without CVO||$8,515.00 (Approximate)|
* Tuition includes use of all books, equipment, supplies, and gear required to participate in the program and will remain the property of Fletcher at the program’s conclusion.
**All students must take CVO unless they already have a valid CDL Class A license.
Note: All costs are estimates and are subject to change.
Schedule Test for WorkKeys Score
CDL Portion: Thibodaux Facility
1425 Tiger Drive
Line Worker Portion: IPT Building, Schriever Campus
224 Rouses Drive
Jason Thibodaux, Instructor
Lauren Sanders, Enrollment Specialist