Benefits – Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where is Human Resources located?  What are the hours of operation?

Human Resources is located at the Schriever campus on the Second Floor in Room 209.  Our office hours are 7:30am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday.

2. When am I able to enroll, change options and/or add dependents to a medical plan? 

You can enroll, change options and/or add dependents every year during annual enrollment (October 1 – November 15) or within 30 days of hire/qualifying event.  Enrollments or changes during annual enrollment are effective January 1st of the following year.  Contact Human Resources for appropriate paperwork.

3. What is the effective date of insurance coverage for new hires and transfers?

The effective date of coverage for new hires whose employment begins on the first of the month will be the first day of the following month.  If employment begins on the second day of the month or later, coverage is effective the first day of the next month after 30 days of employment.  An employee who transfers employment should complete a transfer form within 30 days. Example:  If employment begins September 1, coverage begins October 1. If employment begins September 2, coverage begins November 1.

4. Why do I have to provide copies of marriage license/birth certificates for covered dependents on my health/life plan(s)?

As of July 1, 2009, this is a mandatory rule of the Office of Group Benefits (OGB) in an effort to alleviate extra expenditures for non-dependent members.

5. Can I change/update my beneficiary for retirement and life insurance?  If so, when and how do I start the process?

Beneficiaries may be changed at any time during the year, please contact Human Resources for appropriate forms.

6. Who is eligible to earn leave?

12-Month Faculty/Staff earn annual and sick leave.  9-Month Faculty earn sick leave.  See Leave Accrual Chart.

7. How do I request leave?

Submit a request to your supervisor for approval.  All requests must be made in advance when possible.  Your supervisor will inform you of their process.

8. How do I access my leave balances?

Leave balances can be located on your paycheck advice or in LoLA under Self Service (Employee/Leave Balances).

9. When will my leave category change?

Please refer to Leave Accrual Chart.

10. How do I apply for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act)?

Contact Human Resources to obtain appropriate paperwork.  Once paperwork is completed by your physician, submit to Human Resources and notify your supervisor.

11. Who is eligible for Educational Leave?

Visit the Benefits page and click on Educational Leave Request .

12. Who is eligible for Tuition Assistance?

Visit the Tuition Assistance page under Benefits.

13. Can a retiree return to active status for the college?

Yes, once the position you will be returning to has been determined, paperwork will be necessary to alert the retirement system that you are actively employed.  If returning in a part-time position, it is possible your retirement benefits will continue.  If returning in a full-time position, you will have to select from a list of options to continue or discontinue retirement benefits.

14. Can a retiree enroll in insurance if they did not elect to keep it at the onset of retirement?

No. You must select coverage prior to retirement date in order to have insurance as a retiree.

15. Can a retiree change retirement options?

No. The retiree is not able to change the retirement option selected, once their retirement date passes.