The Virtual Research Lab (VRL) at Fletcher Technical Community College creates 3D models and animations of processes, equipment, or structures in the engineering, production, manufacturing, construction, architectural, medical and biological fields.
WHY 3D MODELS AND ANIMATIONS?
- Provide superior ability to portray and exhibit movement and motion.
- Provide clear visualization of complex processes.
- Provide a concise technical narrative along with slow motion, transparent components, special effects, material flow, and microscopic magnification, which illustrates the functional principles of equipment and/or processes that are difficult for learners to visualize.
- Bring to life a concept, idea, or product that would otherwise remain an abstraction when explained via verbal testimony or through a series of illustrations.
- Help secure funding for a project by allowing others to better visualize the end product or result and its benefits.
- Identify design flaws.
- Enhance design/product marketability.
- Serve as powerful marketing tools.
- Depict catastrophic events in virtual reality that could not be duplicated in the real world for prohibitive safety and environmental considerations.
- Create virtual walk-throughs, drive-throughs, or fly-throughs of construction and architectural projects before they are built to identify design flaws, help control costs and ensure quality.
WHY 3D FLUID SIMULATIONS?
- Visualize large bodies of water as such those to be considered for levee, coastal and maritime interests.
- Create varying landscapes to set the stage for flooding events. These scenes can incorporate natural and man-made structures such as building and defensive barriers (seawalls). The 3D fluid simulations can then interact with scene objects. Additionally, external forces such as wind can be added to represent forecasted storm surges.
- Scale intermediate fluid simulations to suit visualization and study of piping and valve activity.
WHY IS GAME BASED LEARNING EFFECTIVE?
- Allows advantages traditional learning does not such as fast strategic thinking & problem‐solving.
- Creates deeper familiarity with the subject matter.
- Immerses the student in the subject matter safely and in distant virtual locations.
- Provides unique beneﬁts as a feedback and assessment tool.
- Games use learning cycles (learning from experience) to teach subject matter.
- Games track various types of data which has many uses for assessment and evaluation
- As an assessment and evaluation tool
- Learners get instant feedback as the ramiﬁcaons of choice are immediately apparent.
- Ability to save results to a database/text ﬁle or csv for evaluaon.
- Gauge me to completion for learners inside the training modules.
- Gauge eﬀecveness of modules based on data and make adjustments as needed.
The College’s 3D Team comprises members with the following skills and work history:
- Completed over 30 shipped Game Titles
- 3D Artistry and Technical Directing
- Character and Texture Art
- C++ Programming and Scripting
- Quality Assurance
- Art direction
- Project Management
- CG Supervision
- Voice Actors